Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I need new fabric.


Yep, I need new fabric. I'm nearly done with taking inventory...okay, I shoulda been done by now, but between procrastinating and actual valid interference from life, I got about 2/3 done and stopped. Anyway, I'm going to finish it this week, which is good, because I don't get to order anything new until I do, and some of my prints are completely out. The big question is do I reorder more of the same, or try something new?

The Blue Buttercups fabric, which is my favorite, has been out for awhile. Sadly, it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, and unless I order 500 yards of the stuff, it's gone for good. I can't even STORE 500 yards, never mind wanting to tie up that much money in one single fabric print!

I'm also out of the Pink Dandelions - a bright, fun print, but a bit of a slow mover. I'm surprised, as it's really a sweet print, and the hot pink is, well, HOT! I'd like to find a similar print to replace it, but haven't had much luck so far.

My usual source has disappointed so far this season - their new prints are either boring, ugly, or too juvenile...and considering that I make diaper bags, that's saying something! I've got some swatches on order, but my hopes are not high right now.

Unfortunately, many fabric manufacturers won't deal with small businesses like me - most minimums are prohibitive! I'm limited as well by the size and weight of fabric I need (gotta be 57" wide, and heavy like twill or canvas). Most of the other companies that I could possibly buy from make their stuff too small, or on quilting-weight cotton, which is too light. Dang!

I'm thinking about something like Spoonflower, an excellent little company that allows artists to design and print their own fabrics. But their goods are expensive - about 7 times the price I pay right now! And even with their 20% bulk discount, the cost would be too much - I wouldn't be able to sell my bags for a price that anyone would want to pay! I've found a number of similar companies, but most of them seem to be in the same price range, or even higher - yikes!!

Of course, I'd really like to design my own fabrics, and I could certainly sell them in my Etsy fabric shop (VN Rose Fabrics) in addition to making bags...but would people pay for it?

So, what to do??

No comments:

Post a Comment