Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Defective Brain

I'd like a new brain now, please. One that works, if you don't mind. Yes, a truly functional brain - that'd be swell. Thanks.

See, my day started off by my not being able to find an address. It was rather important that I find that address, as it was for a package that I REALLY needed to ship. Couldn't find it, even though it had been together with the package contents just the day before. So, I called the intended recipient to get the address again...yes, that was embarrassing.

Later that afternoon I sealed up the package and got ready to head out to the post office with my son. Couldn't find my wallet. Xander and package waiting patiently in car, I'm frantically searching, when I had a sudden flash of insight. It wasn't a nice flash. I walked out to the car with a box knife and carefully cut open the box, pulled out the bag inside, and with a sigh, fished my wallet out of the bag. Why, you may well ask, was my wallet inside that bag? Well, since I had this new bag in my possession for a while longer than I had planned, and as it was a smokin' new prototype of which I'm extremely proud, I thought I'd carry it around to my usual haunts and show it off before sending it to its new home!

Xander watched as I carefully sealed the box again, thinking it was very funny that Mommy tried to mail her wallet to Portland. In addition to that package, I had another package, plus a bunch of bags and packaging materials that I intended to weigh so I can better calculate shipping charges on my website. At the post office, Xander kept up a noisy running patter that I had to keep shushing, grabbing for the boxes to mail before I was ready, and generally distracting me as I was using the self-service kiosk.

Next stop, Miranda's daycare. I had her bag with sheet and blanket which both Chris & I had forgotten to take on Monday. I carried the bag into the school with me, intending to put it into her cubby before signing out. Was nearly all the way to our next stop, when I looked over at the passenger seat and realized that I had brought the bag back out to the car. I groaned, but continued on to our next stop.

Got all the way through the self-check line at Fred Meyer when I realized that my wallet wasn't in my purse. Asked the very nice cashier to hold my purchases for me while we ran out to the car to get my wallet which I thought had fallen out of my purse. It wasn't there. Another unpleasant flash. Panicked, I bundled the kids into the car, and dashed back to the post office. Oh, the other thing I had to do at F.M. was GET GAS - I was down to like 3 miles to empty. Called my husband on the way and explained that he might have to come get us in Mill Creek, as I may be without my wallet and without enough gas to get home.

The post office was closed, and the clerks were doing a fine job of ignoring my banging at the glass door with my key and shouting. Finally, one deigned to acknowledge my presence, and was about to send me away, when the night janitor stopped him and said he had picked up my wallet. Bless him and his star-emblazoned, gold capped tooth!!!

Wallet in hand once again, we headed back to Fred Meyer with mere fumes in the tank. We found the sidelined groceries, completed our purchases, and got to the gas station with "0" showing on the "distance to empty" display.

Finally, I went to post to my blog, which for some reason I had been having trouble getting into earlier. Had to contact former partner, Renee, to reset the password, as she had set it up originally. Couldn't figure it out, though - I had posted over Thanksgiving, and had accessed it with my own email, but suddenly it appeared to be under her email. Odd. Well, we got that cleared up on Monday and I did a new post, but the blog graphic looked different. huh. Renee must've gone in and changed it! She's back and doing some stuff for me, so that didn't strike me as too strange, but I tried to look at old postings and couldn't find them. Curiouser and curiouser! When I went back to it this evening, I couldn't find my most recent post - WHAT??? I finally realized that I have TWO blogs! Gads.

So, I'd really like a new brain. Soon, before someone gets hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment